10 Healthy Foods That Calm & De-Stress
Be a rebel.
Ditch foods like processed sweets, chips and fast food that only give you minor stress relief, it's not working, it only causes you more stress in the long run.
Go against your old food choices.
Embrace a new way of living. Honor your temple, feed it well with foods that calm your mind and bring vitality to your being,
1. Broccoli is packed with the vitamin folic acid which aids in stress reduction. Add broccoli in a stir-fry, soup, pesto, or roast in the oven for a side dish.
2. Drink warm water or chamomile tea. Warm drinks calms the nerves. Drink at work, before or after meals. Chamomile tea also aids in digestion.
3. Oranges are packed with high amounts of vitamin C and as you break the skin of the orange breathe in the citrus aroma. Citrus scents are known to uplift and calm the mind. Have it as a snack or squeeze fresh juice in the morning. Start the day off happy! :D
4. Celery juice with lime. Celery is a natural anti-depressant because it contains vitamin b-6 (folic acid) and folate. A study was done on people who ate high amounts of folate lowered the risk of depression. Folate assists your body with producing serotonin and dopamine (the happy chemicals) On the go? Shop at your local co-op and order celery juice with lime or lemon. If you have a juicer, make it at home for breakfast or as a snack.
Magnesium rich foods calm the mind it does this by binding and stimulating GABA receptors. GABA receptors lower brain activity = calm mind. Foods with high amounts of magnesium are:
5. dark leafy greens (kale - make kale chips)
6. dark chocolate (get fair-trade)
7. pumpkin seeds (soaked over night, rinsed. Have a handful of seeds when you are feeling stressed at work)
Omega-3 Fatty Acids benefit brain function. Our brain and nerves needs juicy beneficial fats to cope with stress therefore elevating our mood. Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids are:
8. Avocado (add it in a salad or have as a snack)
9. Walnuts (soaked over night, rinsed. Have a handful of nuts for snack or add in salads.)
10. Chia seeds (soak for 15 minutes, then add in shakes, oatmeal, salads, water with lemon and strawberries)